Tuesday, April 8, 2008

To the Squirrel Fattening Evenly

Second try with dual narratives...


Wanted to give stanzas their own
meaning, topic. Thought of line breaks
as the longest pause...





Room Heated by Bulb Alone


I can’t help
but wonder
the truth is this

normal people don’t question
these things I can see
why is there no one to ask

of their son0 the one they now miss follow
the words 0they have been twisted beyond comprehension
the branches of the dogwood failing to spread them

selves 0they have lost their usefulness to the routine
twirlings of the ex-passionate
acrobats alone in the laundry room 0I fear

new experiences 0the only sure thing to praise God
make us rich a man once whispered in my ear opening a smoothed box It’ll be both of us
our mold 0a man made thing

of beauty 0I held it only once didn’t have the guts to go
all in the minds of shallow breeding salmon
make me jealous 0how easy it must be

to live knowing you will die
where you mate for a chance at false hope
I make a wish that I will be able

to sleep I will have to go on
like this forever 0how it will seem so brief
when I look back out at it







...with punctuation...







Room Heated by Bulb Alone


I can’t help
but wonder
the truth. Is this

normal? People don’t question
these things. I can see
why. Is there no one to ask


of their son, the one they now miss, ’follow
the words’? They have been twisted beyond comprehension
the branches of the dogwood, failing to spread them-

selves. They have lost their usefulness to the routine
twirlings of the ex-passionate
acrobats. Alone in the laundry room, I fear

new experiences. ‘The only sure thing to, praise-God
make us rich.’ a man once whispered in my ear, opening a smoothed box, “It’ll be

000both of us,
our mold.’ A man made thing

of beauty. I held it only once, didn’t have the guts to go
all in. The minds of shallow breeding salmon
make me jealous. How easy it must be

to live knowing you will die
where you mate. For a chance at false hope
I make a wish that I will be able

to sleep. I will have to go on
like this forever. How it will seem so brief
when I look back out at it.

No comments: